Mushroom Burgers

Mushroom Burgers

Here's a simple, but delicious, vegetarian Mushroom Burger that comes together quickly for dinner or supper. 

I found this recipe when I was doing a long stint of baby sitting with our first grandson, Benjamin.  After a day of watching Baby, I would take to my bed with my laptop and surf around looking at different blogs and websites looking for interesting recipes or some article to read.  When I found a recipe or article I liked I'd email myself the web address so I could look it up later.  I still have a few of those emails saved on my email account.  

These Mushroom Burgers intrigued me as there wasn't a great amount in them to bind them together but I thought I'd give them a try.  When I put them on the pan they were quite loose and crumbly but as they cooked they firmed right up and I could flip them easily without anything falling apart. Everyone enjoyed them so the recipe went in my files.  

I can't remember where I found this recipe and haven't been able to track it down.  Oh well, I tried.  Whoever made these up or originally posted these, I thank you.  

The original recipe called for seasoned breadcrumbs but I never have those on hand. I use ordinary breadcrumbs that I make myself from a couple of slices of stale bread and add herbs or spices myself.  Onions were optional but I changed that.  Onions are never optional in burgers! 

Printable recipe at end of post.
Meatless Mushroom Burgers   
  • 2 cups fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ cup bread crumbs
  • ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup onion, small dice
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon savory or basil or favourite herb/spice
  • Butter or oil for frying

Mix all ingredients and form into patties. They will be loose but will firm up once fried.  Fry slowly in butter or oil until lightly browned on each side and cooked through. (I do a mix of butter and oil.) 

Serve on a burger bun plain or topped with a cheese slice and favourite condiments.  These are also nice served as a main entree with a cheese sauce.

Makes 4 large or 6-8 medium burger patties.  

I made 7 patties as I don't like really big burgers--too hard to get my mouth around them. 


Here are all the ingredients needed to make these Mushroom Burgers.  The mushroom and onions are cut about the same size.

The mixture will be quite loose and crumbly.  I used an ice cream scoop to measure each burger.

As each burger was placed on the pan I patted it together if there were any stray pieces falling out.  Once they started cooking they became much firmer and flipping them was no problem.  Cook them slowly so the mushrooms and onions will cook.

Nicely browned and cooked through and ready for a bun and all the trimmings.


A look inside a burger pattie.  See how meaty these look.

Mushroom Burgers
 Supper's Ready!

To print click on arrow upper right side.⇩          

Comments

Popular Posts