Search This Blog for Recipes. Just type in key words or recipe name.

Sunday, December 08, 2013

Magic Cookie Bars


Here is one of the easiest baked cookies you can make and everyone seems to love them.  Magic Cookie Bars, Hello Dollies, Christmas Squares, 6 or 7 Layer Bars or whatever regional name they go by are an ooey, gooey, chewy cookie bar that's almost impossible to resist.  It seems everyone has a recipe for this cookie, some with with minor changes or additions but it's basically the same cookie. Today I used Chipits vanilla flavoured holiday chips to replace some of the semi-sweet chips.  I thought they would lend a festive holiday look to the cookies.  I don't particularly like the vanilla flavoured chips but I was gifted with 4 or 5 bags of them and thought I'd use some this way.  Mixed in with the real chocolate they were really good.

I have a little recipe booklet published by the Borden company sometime in the 1970s, as far as I can tell, where all the recipes use 1 can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk.  I couldn't find any publishing information and looking for a publishing date or copyright was like looking through a "Where's Waldo?" book.   I've used this little booklet for many years usually making the Magic Cookie Bars.  But there are a few more good recipe that will eventually show up on this blog.  

The original recipe instructions are a little different as you melt the butter in the pan, then layer the crumbs, condensed milk, chocolate chips, coconut and nuts in that order.  I mixed the butter and crumbs and pressed them in the pan before layering.  I also poured the milk on last.  I think next time I'll try it the original way to compare the difference.  Either way, you have a great cookie for any occasion. 

Magic Cookie Bars
½ cup butter or margarine, melted
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels or more!
1 ⅓ cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
1 can or 1 ¼ cups Sweetened Condensed Milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
   
Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over top.
  
Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.


I find the cookie is easier to serve when the crumbs 
are patted down instead of sprinkled on top of the butter.

The layers are all laid down waiting for the condensed milk.


 Ready for the oven.  
 You can see I made half the pan using the Christmas coloured chips.


Cool to at least room temperature before cutting into bars.  
I trimmed off the crusty sides for a great little snack.


2 comments: