Carrot Nuggets


I made these carrot patties the year I cooked for Junior Camp.  I felt duty-bound to get as many vegetables into those kids as I could and thought I'd try to disguise a few of them in a fritter like pattie.  I made them small and called them "Carrot Nuggets" and served them with a Ranch Dressing for a dipping sauce.  Because I was offering the kids a new food I was somewhat hesitant about making too many nuggets as left-overs can be hard to dispose of when there is a set menu for the week.  I had nothing to fear.  All the nuggets were eaten and one of the counselors came to the kitchen to tell me the kids loved them.  (But, I'm sure there were some kids who could spot a carrot a mile away and wouldn't touch them.)

These little gems are really good.  As you can see when you read the recipe these can be made with a mixture of vegetables if you'd like vegetable nuggets.  I kept them quite plain using only carrots when I made them for the kids and used only the garlic, pepper and nutmeg as seasoning.  But you can spice them up as much as you want.  I've included a list of seasonings that would go well with carrots. 

These come together quickly if you use a food processor to grate the vegetables and chop the onions and garlic.  You don't even have to clean the processor container in between jobs.  I was shopping today and got home about 45 minutes before dinner.  I had them ready when Don came home (including taking the pictures). We ate almost all of them (and we had other food, also)!  There are 6 left for supper.


Carrot Nuggets or Patties
3 large carrots, shredded (about 2 cups) can use a mixture of carrot, turnip, parsnip, sweet potato, zucchini, celery, red or green peppers, etc.
1 medium onion, finely chopped or grated
1 or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼-½ teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of nutmeg
Seasonings to taste: basil, garlic, curry, hamburger spice, chicken spice, savoury, orange rind, cinnamon, cilantro, cumin, mint, crushed chili pepper flakes
Canola oil for frying

Grate the carrots (and any other vegetables) and place in large bowl.  

Combine dry ingredients and any seasonings used.  

Add lightly beaten eggs to the vegetables and mix through.  Sprinkle dry ingredients over the carrot mixture and stir through until well blended.

Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick pan over medium high heat. For nuggets drop a rounded tablespoon of carrot mixture into the oil.  For patties drop scant quarter cups of the carrot mixture into the pan. Press down lightly with spatula or fork. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn patties and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate covered with a paper towel.

Serve hot with Ranch Dressing or sour cream or applesauce or guacamole or whatever your little heart desires.

Makes about 2-3 dozen depending on the size of the nuggets.


I used fresh garlic.  I chopped the garlic first then added the onion and chopped them together until they were well mixed.


I removed the blade and attached the shredder disk and shredded the carrots.

 The dry ingredients should be mixed together so they are well blended together.

Add the eggs to the carrot mixture.  I slid the eggs down the side of the bowl and beat them lightly avoiding another dirty bowl.   When the eggs were mixed in, sprinkle on the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.


 
The nuggets are sizzling away in cast iron pans. 

How's that for a fancy plate of nuggets and sour cream!


Comments

Popular Posts