Carrot Rice Loaf

Carrot Rice Loaf makes a tasty change from macaroni and cheese or potatoes.  Serve it as a vegetarian main or side-dish.

We had this delicious loaf for dinner today thanks to my recipe box.  The Carrot Rice Loaf or roast as it is called on the recipe card has been in the box for years.  I have made it several times over the years but today I switched up the rice for a 5-grain mix from President's Choice.  It was so good I'll use it again.

The first time I tasted this loaf was at a church potluck and of course I had to get the recipe.  The recipe comes from Betty, the wife of a teacher I worked with. I think this may be a traditional luncheon or supper dish from the Maritimes because I've seen similar recipes in an old church cookbook from Nova Scotia.  (This is one of the cookbooks I liberated from my mother's collection.)  Betty and Bob were both from Nova Scotia or New Brunswick so my guess may prove to be correct.  

I've changed the recipe a little over the years but it's basically the same recipe as the one above. I use this loaf as a main entreĂ© as it has plenty of protein with the cheese, eggs and whole grains but it certainly makes a nice side dish.  Serve it in place of macaroni and cheese or potatoes for a different but delicious accompaniment to your meal. 

Printable recipe at bottom of post.

A nice change from rice.
Carrot Rice Loaf
  • 4 carrots, grated
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 ½ cups grated cheese
  • 2 cups cooked rice or other grain
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • Pepper to taste
How to make it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or pan spray a 9"x5" loaf pan or an 8" square dish.

SautĂ© carrots and onion together in a large frying pan until vegetables are tender crisp.  (If carrots are old you may need to add up to ¼ cup of water.)  Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.


Combine the rice or grain with the cheese and cooked vegetables.  Mix well.  Add the 2 beaten eggs and season to taste. 


Pack mixture in a well-greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until firm.  Let cool 5 minutes before serving.


Makes 4-6 main or 6-8 side-dish servings.


You will notice my carrots are not the same size but I figure they evened out once they were grated.  

SautĂ© carrots and onion in oil until tender crisp.  The vegetables will continue to cook when the casserole is baked.

 I covered the frying pan to speed up the cooking process.

This is the 5-grain blend I used in place of the rice.  It was only about 1 ½ cups of grain but it cooked up to about 5 cups. 

I used a marble cheddar cheese mixed with a handful of Parmesan cheese thrown in for good measure.  Mix the cheese, rice or grains and vegetables together.  Add the eggs and combine well.
 
 
Pack the mixture in a loaf pan and bake about 45 minutes.  Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.

Another tasty dinner!


To print click on arrow upper right side.⇩          

Comments

Popular Posts