Search This Blog for Recipes. Just type in key words or recipe name.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Stuffed Hot Dog Buns


We're trying to eat all the bits and pieces in the fridge and freezer before we head out on our vacation and I found I had 3 hot dog buns and 2 veggie wieners lurking in the back of the freezer.  Now, that's fine if we only wanted one hot dog each because I could use the other bun for crumbs.  But, inevitably, when I ask Don if he wants one or two hot dogs his answer is always two.  

What to do?  How was I going to stretch two wieners into three buns?  It was then I thought of this recipe.  When the boys were young we called these "Coney Islands" but they aren't anything like a Coney Island hot dog--they aren't even real meat wieners.  But whatever they're called, they solved my dilemma of the uneven buns and wieners.  I mixed up a much reduced recipe and we were able to enjoy the Stuffed Hot Dog Buns--two for Don and one for me.☺

It must have been twenty years or more ago I came across this recipe.  Our church youth group put together a fund-raiser cookbook and one of the children, Caleb, submitted this recipe. I haven't changed the recipe much over the years except I've added the pickle relish and the garnishes to the mix.  These are baked in the oven but I'd wager a guess that they'd go well on the top rack of the barbeque--well wrapped in foil, of course.


Stuffed Hot Dog Buns
6 vegetarian wieners, cubed or sliced
1½ cups grated cheese
⅓ cup green onions, chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 tablespoons olives, sliced (black or green)
2 tablespoons pickle relish or chopped sweet or dill pickle
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup ketchup
10-12 pre-sliced hot dog buns 

Garnish
Chopped green or mild white onions
Mustard
Ketchup
Mayonnaise
Pickles
Sliced olives
Extra grated cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan or dish with aluminum foil, leaving a large over hang to wrap around the top of the buns. 

Mix all ingredients together (except garnishes) and pack into hot dog buns.  Place stuffed buns in a prepared 9x13-inch baking dish.  Bring the foil up over the top of the buns and seal.  Bake for 20-30 minutes or until hot through.  You may remove foil off the top the last 5 minutes to crisp the buns.  

Serve with desired garnishes, a green salad and perhaps a handful of potato chips or French fries. 
    
Makes 10-12 servings.   


 So easy to make.  Assemble everything together.  Chop, dice, grate, squirt and dollop.


Put everything in a bowl and mix well.  Now you're ready to stuff the buns.  You may prepare the mixture in the morning and refrigerate until ready to use for a meal later on in the day.

Looks like I can't count.  Do you see 3 or 4 buns?  Ha, ha, I still had enough filling for the four buns. Don had three and I had one.

 Before and after pictures.


A Delicious Meal.


1 comment:

  1. I’d been so used to eating those insipid side-split rolls, it took seeing a photo of a lobster roll to remember what a real hot dog buns are supposed to be like. Lej en pølsevogn

    ReplyDelete