Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins


I like all things blueberry and blueberry muffins are no exception.  These muffins are probably different from what you may be used to because they contain oatmeal and brown sugar as opposed to the more common white batter that usually holds the blueberries in a muffin.  These are "real" muffins and not those cakey things disguised as muffins.  Don't get me wrong, I like cake but if you're going to be a cake, be cake or at least call yourself a cupcake.  A cake by any other name is still cake. (I'll lay that rant aside now.)  These muffins are not overly sweet and could almost be called nutritious if you use the whole wheat flour and don't use the crumb topping.  I like the crumb topping, especially if I'm entertaining at breakfast or at a brunch.  To be honest, I like the crumb topping even if I'm home alone and no one is going to eat the muffins but me.  I'm drawn to crumbs.  

This recipe comes from my friend Janet.  We both taught together many years ago when I was young and she was even younger.  She submitted this Blueberry Muffin recipe to our fundraiser cookbook and I'm so glad she did.  I have added the optional crumb topping to the original recipe because as I stated above, I like crumb toppings.  

As you can see, this book has been used and over-used.  
It's falling to pieces and is well stained on my favourite recipes.

As with any muffin or quick bread, use a gentle hand when mixing.  Don't use a mixer because you'll probably over-mix the batter and these are so quick and easy to make you just don't need to mess up your beater blades.  

Of course I'm using the world's best blueberries in these muffins.  Don is picking the little wild berry as I type. 


Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup sour milk (1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in cup of milk)
1 cup flour, white or whole wheat
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup melted butter or oil
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Optional crumb topping (See recipe below.)
 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease or line 12 muffins cups.

Combine oats and milk in small bowl; let stand.  Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt and brown sugar.  Stir well to blend.  Add egg and oil to oat mixture; mix well.  Add oat mixture all at once to dry ingredients.  Stir just until all ingredients are moistened.  Gently fold in blueberries.  Fill well greased or lined muffin cups ¾ full.  If using the optional crumb topping place 1 tablespoon crumb mixture on top of each muffin.  Bake at 400 degrees F.  for 15 to 20 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Optional Crumb Topping
¼ cup oatmeal
¼-½ cup flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
Pinch of salt
¼ cup soft butter

Combine all ingredients together, thoroughly rubbing the butter in to make a crumbly mixture.  Use only the ¼ cup of flour to begin with and work in more if the mixture is not crumbly enough.


Soak the oatmeal in the sour milk.  Mix the oil and egg with the oats.  Combine all the dry ingredients and add the wet oatmeal mixture.  I used whole wheat flour in these and no one would know the difference.  Just a great way to add a little more nutrition and fibre to the diet.


Very gently mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined.  Again, I say, gently fold in the berries.  Scoop mixture into muffin pans and top with the cinnamon crumbs.

Baked to perfection.  My muffins took 18 minutes in the 400 degree oven.


Don couldn't resist--no waiting for breakfast on these beauties.  He had them with his supper and so did I!



The earth's bounty baked in a muffin.

Comments

Popular Posts