Pineapple Cloud Tropical Fruit Salad


Pineapple Cloud Tropical Fruit Salad is what I'd call the "crème de la crème" of fruit salads.  It's creamy, not too sweet but decadent with every bite.  It's not the fruit that makes this so special but the creamy smooth pudding that the fruit so happily sits in.  I imagine you could use quite a few mixtures of fruit, canned or fresh,  in this delectable salad but pineapple would have to be included as this is the base flavour in the pudding.

I'm so glad I found this recipe on YouTube.  My sister and I were chatting on the telephone about four or five years ago and I was telling her about a cooking video I was watching.  As we chatted on she asked me if I'd ever seen Betty's Kitchen.  I hadn't so she urged me to have a look.  She was sure I'd enjoy watching Betty and love listening to her soft southern drawl as she cooked and baked in her bright Kentucky kitchen.  Heather was right.  I loved watching Betty bake through her family's favourite recipes along with other traditional Southern dishes that were only familiar to me through cookbooks or cooking shows.   As a retired math professor, Betty is very precise in her measurements and cooking instructions.  It's very easy to follow what she is doing.   But what really amazes me is her appearance and deportment.  Betty looks as if she just walked out of a fashion magazine with her perfectly coiffed hair, beautiful clothing and unblemished manicured hands and fingernails.  Betty and I are about the same age but no one would ever confuse me with a fashion model!  When I'm in the kitchen I'm usually wrapped from head to toe in aprons and old t-shirts. 

This fruit salad has become a favourite with our family.  My daughter-in-law, Vicki, requested this for her baby shower and I gladly made it for everyone's enjoyment.  I always get lip-smacking compliments whenever it's served at family gatherings and church functions and have been asked for the recipe many times. 

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.  Thank you Betty for providing such a delicious and beautiful recipe. 

Pineapple Cloud Tropical Fruit Salad
(Used by permission from Betty’s Kitchen on YouTube)

19/20 oz. can pineapple chunks or tidbits in juice, drained (Save juice!)
10/11 oz. can drained mandarin oranges
10 oz. bottle drained maraschino cherries (will use half)
1 ½ cups miniature marshmallows (more or less to taste)
¾ cup pineapple juice (from the saved, drained pineapple)
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 well-beaten eggs
1 cup whipping cream, chilled

Drain the pineapple chunks or tidbits, saving ¾ cup pineapple juice. Set aside the juice. Place the pineapple chunks in a medium-sized bowl. 

Drain the mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries, discarding the juice, and place the fruit in the bowl with the pineapple chunks. You will use about half a jar of cherries or as many as you want.  Cover the fruit with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours.

While fruit is chilling make the pudding.  Place ½ cup sugar in a saucepan and add 2 tablespoons flour. Mix together thoroughly. (You may use less sugar if desired.) Add the reserved ¾ cup of pineapple juice and stir until all flour lumps are dissolved. Next, add 2 well-beaten eggs, and combine everything thoroughly. Place the pineapple pudding mixture over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Turn the heat to low, and continue to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until it is a nice, smooth, cooked pudding. Remove from heat, let it sit for a few minutes to cool, and then cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours. 

About 1 hour before you put the salad together, place the 1 cup of whipping cream in the refrigerator (or freezer if the weather is very warm), along with a large mixing bowl and beaters. When very cold, place the whipping cream in the cold mixing bowl and beat with the cold beaters until the whipped cream holds its shape. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled pineapple pudding. Mix until no streaks remain.

Remove the fruit from the refrigerator and drain any juice that has accumulated at the bottom of the bowl of fruit.  Add 1½  cups miniature marshmallows to the bowl of fruit. (I like less marshmallows so I add about ¾-1 cup.)  Now, gently combine the pineapple/whipped cream mixture with the fruit and marshmallow mixture. Mix gently and thoroughly; then spoon into a pretty serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until serving. 

Makes about 6-8 servings. 


Drain the pineapple and save the juice.  Use pineapple packed in real juice.  I like to use pineapple tidbits as they are smaller than the chunks and fit in my mouth much easier.  (It is not true that I have a big mouth!)


Place the drained mandarin oranges and maraschino cherries in with the pineapple.  I used about half a jar of  whole cherries.  You could cut the cherries in half if you wish but I leave them whole.  Cover and refrigerate the fruit for at least 4 hours or even overnight. 


 Thoroughly mix the sugar and flour together in a medium saucepan. 


Stir in the reserved pineapple juice and blend together.


 Mix in the well beaten eggs.


Cook and stir continuously over medium heat until thickened and starting to boil.  Continue cooking and stirring over low heat 4 or 5 minutes.  The pudding will be quite thick.  Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or until well chilled.  


 When ready to put the salad together beat the well chilled whipping cream.


Fold the whipped cream into the chilled pineapple pudding.  My pudding was very stiff and thick so I broke it up with the whisk.  Then I proceeded to fold in the cream.  


Drain the fruit again and fold in with the pudding/cream mixture.


I almost forgot the marshmallows!  Easy enough to fold them in with the cream and fruit.


 See that fruit peeking through the velvety smooth pineapple pudding. 


This fruit salad is delicious as is and really doesn't need any dressing up but I did give it a spoonful of cream and a cherry to top it all off.


So creamy, smooth and delicious.
Thank You, Betty!

Comments

  1. Qué rica propuesta, me encanta tu forma de cocinar y alimentarte. Si te apetece pásate por mi blog, te dejaré un premio por tu labor. Saludos y gracias por difundir esta forma sana y natural para alimentarnos.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts