Aunt Lydia's Cream Cheese Dinner Patties


Aunt Lydia is not anyone's aunt in the family but that's what Anne calls this dear family friend.  Ben and Emily will always call her "aunt" because that is how their mother refers to this lovely lady.  I have known Lydia for years, and it was nice to get to know her even better when Anne became part of our family.  

When we are at David and Anne's, "Aunt" Lydia and "Uncle" Ed often drop by for a chat and a cup of tea or a meal and it's always nice to have a visit.  (Of course I just call them Lydia and Ed.)  Ed always has a word or two of wisdom framed in the driest wit you'd ever want to hear.  Lydia often brings a pretty tea towel for Anne.   Just about every time I notice a new towel it's one Lydia gave to Anne on one of her visits.   

A couple of weeks ago when we were visiting for Ben's 6th birthday, Anne made Aunt Lydia's Cream Cheese Patties for our dinner.  I'd never eaten them before and found them very tasty and satisfying.  I knew they'd be good as I watched Anne cut them out and fry them.  I quickly grabbed my cell phone and started taking pictures because I told her I'd blog them so the recipe would never be lost.  

I've kept very true to the recipe, not changing a thing (except for sneaking in half a chopped onion and suggesting sage, but I have those in brackets) so it is exactly the same recipe I ate that day.  

The patties are delicious just as they are or in a gravy.  They make superb burgers served in a bun with condiments and all the other accoutrements that burgers take.  We certainly enjoyed them again when I made them at home the following week.


Aunt Lydia's Cream Cheese Dinner Patties
1 package veggie burger (equal to 1 pound of ground beef after cooking)
1 package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup cracker crumbs (soda or saltine crackers work well)
1 cup finely crushed or ground pecans
3 eggs
Dash onion powder (I also sneak in half a chopped onion)
Salt to taste (about a scant teaspoon was what I used)
1 teaspoon savoury (or ½ teaspoon sage if you must)
2 or 3 tablespoon oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix all the above ingredients until well blended.  I used my hands and got everything all mushed up quite well.  Form into patties.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat.  Add a small amount of oil--about 1 tablespoon.   Fry the patties slowly flipping after  it turns a golden brown colour. Fry the second side same as the first.

Makes about 18-24 patties, depending on the size.  These freeze well for another meal. 


Place all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix everything together. Can you see the sneaky onions?  For the veggie burger I like to use Yves Ground Round. It comes in 340 gram packages that are equal to 1 pound of cooked ground beef. 

Anne and Lydia pat the mixture flat and cut out the patties using a cookie cutter, thereby making very neat and uniform product.  The lovely Anne posed for this picture.  

I pat them out in my hands and plop them down on the pan and hope for the best.

Slowly fry the patties in a little oil until they are golden brown on both sides.  
See how nice and even Anne's patties have turned out.

Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle. . . fry my little patties, fry. 

These Cream Cheese Dinner Patties can be served in burger buns or with gravy with potatoes and vegetables. 


Mushroom and onions adorn 
Aunt Lydia's Cream Cheese Dinner Patties.  
Yum, yum!


Comments

  1. I was looking for a cream cheese patties recipe, grew up SDA in CBS, and I know Anne, Lydia and Ed. They often come in my mind, and I've wondered they went and how they are. Unfortunately, this is not the cream cheese patties recipe I was looking for. Thanks Lois

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts