Creamy Orange "Bacon" Salad Dressing

 
I like creamy salad dressings and this one is especially nice during the winter when oranges are in season.  This recipe came to me via the staff room when I was teaching.  One of my teacher friends thought I would like this recipe because I was always talking about cooking and baking.  She was correct in thinking so.  I have enjoyed this many times and usually pull out the recipe when company is about to grace my table as it is different from anything you can purchase on the shelves of the grocery store. 
 
Toss a few fresh orange sections into a bowl of greens, add a little onion, maybe a few dried cranberries or a sliced avocado and introduce this Creamy Orange "Bacon" Salad Dressing to the mix and you have a lovely salad.   This dressing uses purchased mayonnaise as the base but you can also use a salad dressing like Miracle Whip if that's what you prefer.  Unless I'm expecting a crowd for dinner, I  make half a recipe.  It's easy to halve but simple enough to whip up another batch if you think you may not have enough.  


Creamy Orange “Bacon” Salad Dressing
2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
¼ cup simulated bacon bits
2 green onion, sliced
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar 

About 1 teaspoon orange zest--more or less to taste
Orange juice as needed or for a stronger orange flavour also use a little frozen concentrated orange juice
 

In a medium bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients together.  Add enough orange juice to thin to proper pouring consistency. For a stronger orange flavour add a little frozen concentrated orange juice.  Refrigerate for a few hours to let flavours meld together.  Add the simulated bacon bits shortly before serving.   Serve with a green salad with citrus fruits.

Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes about 2½ cups.

Mix everything together until smooth and creamy.  Add enough orange juice to thin to proper pouring consistency or to your own liking.  Refrigerate to let the flavours blend together.

Before serving, add the "bacon" bits.  This keeps them a little crunchy.  They will soften up in the left over dressing but I don't find that unpleasant to the taste buds.  I found this little jar at the dollar store.  It holds half a recipe nicely.

Everyone likes this Creamy Orange "Bacon" Salad Dressing.  
It was a big hit at a Women's Night I hosted.

Creamy Orange "Bacon" Salad Dressing pairs really well with a Citrus Avocado Salad.

 All dressed up!




Comments

Popular Posts