Veggie Burgers--Vegan


Burgers are always a popular dinner item at our house and these burgers are an excellent choice, especially if you will be entertaining anyone who eats a vegan diet.  You'll be on their Top 10 list of beloved people.

When Peter was 13 years old he decided he was going to become a vegetarian and not only vegetarian but vegan!  Now what to do?  Because I was a working mother, and didn't have time to prepare two sets of meals, we all started eating vegan.  That wasn't too bad as we were eating vegetarian for more than half our meals anyway.  It was a struggle at first to adopt and adapt recipes that didn't include eggs, milk or cheese but we were successful and found it wasn't too hard at all.  One of my main priorities was to make the food delicious and appealing to anyone who was eating.   I had no intentions of sitting down to a plate of hay just because it was vegan! 

I was so happy when I found this recipe.  Every time I made them Peter would look at me suspiciously and ask if there was meat in the burger.  They do taste meaty.  I think it's the texture of the veggie burger that tricks the taste buds.  Because there is no cheese or eggs to bind the ingredients in these burgers they are much softer than their vegetarian cousins.  But they are delicious and when they have cooled a little they are quite sturdy in a bun. 

Although we have reverted to the dark side and are now vegetarian and not vegan I still make this recipe from time to time.  I don't know where I found this recipe as I didn't keep track of such things away back in the 20th century.  I have made a search but have come up with no credits.  So whoever is responsible for this recipe, I thank you. 

Just a note about the salt.  Today I used the Italian Ground Round which is seasoned and quite salty and didn't need the half teaspoon of salt.  Taste your mixture before adding the salt.

Veggie Burgers
1½ cups vegan vegeburger (Yves Veggie Ground Round is good)
⅓ cup thick cooked oatmeal
¼ cup onions, chopped
½ medium potato, grated
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon savory (or ¼ teaspoon sage)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs

Cooking spray or oil for frying

Mix above ingredients.  Spray frying pan with cooking spray or use a little oil.  Form into small patties and fry slowly until nicely browned on both sides.  Or bake on oiled or parchment lined cookie sheet in 375 degree oven. 

Serve on on buns with lettuce and tomato and favourite condiments.

Makes approximately 8-9 burger patties.  


 The ingredients set out ready to be mixed.  

Mix everything together.  I use an ice cream scoop to make equal sized burger patties.

 Fry slowly in a little oil.

When nicely browned on one side, turn and continue cooking.  You may also bake these patties in a 375 degree oven.
Drain on paper toweling if fried.

Serve the Veggie Burgers with a side of veggies and fries.  Don't forget the ketchup, mustard and pickles.


Doesn't that look delicious!


Yum, yum, yum!

Veggie Burgers for everyone's choice.



Comments

Popular Posts