Baked Eggs


Last night I was rifling through my files looking for a new recipe to post and I came across this simple little recipe for baked or shirred eggs.  I haven't made these in ages and my mouth was watering just reading the recipe.  I do like eggs in any form but when you throw in a little cream and cheese and bake them they seem to be elevated from the everyday fried, boiled or scrambled offerings that are so familiar at the breakfast table.  I made them this morning and they were delicious with my toasted homemade bread and a glass of orange juice.  What a lovely treat in the middle of the week. 

This was one of the recipes we made when I was teaching a high school foods class way back in the 1990s.  I've updated the recipe a little but it's essentially the same one.  When we made these at school we didn't have individual ramekins or custard cups so we made them in muffin pans, each student carefully marking which cup was theirs.  The Baked Eggs were a popular recipe with the kids and many of them reported they had made them at home later on that week.  

So here is the recipe with a few minor changes and updated instructions. 


Baked Eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter as many shallow ramekins, muffin pans or custard cups as needed, one for each egg.   If you are using a larger shallow ramekin you will be able to fit in two eggs. 

For each baked egg you will need the following:

    1 egg
    1 tablespoon grated cheese or your favourite cheese. 
    1 tablespoon milk or cream
    Dot of butter, if using milk
    Sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste

1.  Break each egg and slide into the well buttered ramekin, custard cup or muffin cup.  

2.  Top each egg with the cheese, milk, butter, salt, and pepper.  If using cream the butter can be omitted.

3.  If using ramekins or custard cups, place on a baking sheet to prevent spillage. 

4. Bake for 12-18 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until egg is cooked to desired consistency.  If you like a runny yolk, bake 12-15 minutes.  I know some people like a well cooked egg yolk so bake longer until you reach the desired doneness. 

5.  Serve as a breakfast, brunch or supper dish.

Delicious with hot buttered toast and orange juice.



Any of these baking dishes or pans will make an excellent Baked Egg.  The larger shallow ramekin will hold two eggs, the custard cup and the muffin pans will hold one egg each.


Generously butter the inside of your chosen dish.  Some recipes recommend melting the butter but I think it works just as well this way.  Use at least a teaspoon of butter for each egg, and a little more for 2 eggs.


Break and slide the eggs into the well buttered dish.  Drizzle the milk or cream over the eggs and sprinkle with cheese.  If you are using milk, dot with butter.  I used cream this morning so I omitted the butter dotting as cream is rich enough without the added butter.


Sprinkle salt and pepper over the eggs.  I don't use pepper with my eggs so you don't see any in this picture but be my guest to season these to you own taste.  If using ramekins or custard cups, place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the preheated oven and bake until they reach the desired consistency.


I baked my eggs for 15 minutes until the whites were set and the yolks were still partially runny. 


Here's my breakfast--Baked Eggs.  Toasted homemade bread and a glass of orange juice completed the meal.  The eggs were oh so creamy and delicious!  Serve them at your next weekend breakfast or brunch and don't forget they make a quick supper as well. 

 Baked Eggs--easy to prepare--so easy to eat!

Comments

  1. How do you get the cooked eggs out of the muffin tin without breaking the yolk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run a knife around the inside of each muffin tin and then ease out the egg using a spoon. Make sure you've buttered or greased the muffin tin really well. Hoe this helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts