Eggs & Potatoes with Sour Cream


Today is election day in Canada.  I voted early and came home wondering what I'd do now that I was out of my nightgown so early.  Ha, ha.  I started to look for election foods.  In the United States they have an election cake, which is a type of fruit cake, but Canada has no such creation.  I searched the internet and the only election foods I came up with were from the US.  Not to be undaunted I decided to just try out another recipe for my blog.  So these Eggs & Potatoes in Sour Cream be my official election day meal.  

I got this recipe from what was called a Jewish cookbook.  The title and book are long gone and I don't know how authentic the book really was, although it did contain lots of delicious American Jewish recipes.  The little vignettes that went with the recipes, although amusing, seemed a bit contrived.  But who knows?  This was one of the recipes that caught my attention as I liked every ingredient in the recipe.  I've revamped it some to make it a little more convenient and I've cut way back on the salt.  There was supposed to be 2 teaspoons of salt in the dish but it was hard to eat, being so salty.  Don't worry about using freshly boiled potatoes and eggs.  Boil a few extra a day or two before you want to make this dish or slice the potatoes before boiling.  

This makes a good side or even a main dish because of the eggs. 


Eggs and Potatoes in Sour Cream       
4-6 potatoes, peeled, boiled, and sliced (you should have enough potatoes for 4-6 servings)
6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
1 cup sour cream        
¼ cup milk or cream                   
4 tablespoons butter, melted                          
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste                          
½ teaspoon paprika or to taste                          
               
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter or pan spray a 2-litre (quart) baking dish.

In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, milk and melted butter together.   Layer half the potatoes, eggs and the sour cream mix in the casserole dish. Sprinkle with half the salt, pepper and paprika (or to taste).  Repeat using the remainder of the ingredients.  Make sure you have the egg slices covered with the sour cream mixture.  The eggs tend to get rubbery if they aren't protected by the cream. 

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 minutes or until golden.     Makes 4-6 servings.



Boil the potatoes and eggs.  They can be boiled a day or two before you want to use them in the recipe.

Mix the sour cream, melted butter and milk together.  Layer the sliced potatoes and eggs in buttered casserole dish.

Spread half the sour cream mixture over the eggs and potatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  I use what I think will be enough for our taste.  Also sprinkle with paprika.

Repeat the layers. This is ready for the oven.  Make sure you have the egg slices covered with the sour cream mixture.  Eggs will rubbery when baked if they aren't covered with the cream.

Bake 35 minutes until hot and bubbling and a light golden colour.   

Serve the Eggs & Potatoes with Sour Cream with a green salad and a vegetable for a delicious and filling meal.

Satisfying and Tasty!
             

Comments

Popular Posts