Yum Yum. . . Pineapple Cheese Salad


The reason this salad is called "Yum Yum" is because that's what you'll say when you taste it.  "Yum, yum!" It is actually a pineapple cheese salad held together with canned cream and  lemon or orange gelatin (Jell-o).

I've known Lucie for years and years and for years and years she's been a fabulous cook and baker. You can't go wrong with one of Lucie's recipes.  Some women (and men) seem to be natural born cooks and bakers and Lucie fits that category.  I suppose some of it comes from soaking up the culinary atmosphere of the kitchens of beloved mothers, grandmothers and aunts when one is younger. And in Lucie's case that may have been the whole town in which she grew up and still lives today.  I don't think I've ever tasted anything but good food from Cottrell's Cove. (I know, I know, there's probably some poor soul who can't boil water but I haven't met her yet.) 

This all leads to today's recipe, rightly called, "Yum, Yum".   I tasted this years ago and asked Lucie what it was called and she kind of shrugged and said, "I guess you'd call it Yum, Yum."  This, of course, gives no indication as to what the recipe may be so I've included a description with the title. It is actually a pineapple cheese salad held together with lemon or orange gelatin (Jell-o, if we're going with brand names).  It's one of those salads that Newfoundlander's serve with the main dish although it's sweet and more of a dessert.  I believe the people of the Southern United States would know what I mean.  

I happened to be at a church potluck a few weekends ago and what should I spy but a small dish of this salad.  As Lucie was in attendance, I spun around and called out to her to make sure it was the famous Yum, Yum salad.  I was correct in my assumption and so took a goodly spoonful to my plate.  All I can say is, "Yum, yum!"  I had the recipe but just to make sure I asked Lucie to refresh my memory which she promptly did by writing the recipe on a napkin.  I carefully folded the napkin and placed it in my pocket so I didn't accidentally wipe my mouth on the precious document. 


There is a rather unique ingredient in Yum Yum and that is canned cream.  This is not available everywhere so if you haven't a clue what this is or where to find it, use about 6 fluid ounces of whipping cream/heavy cream in place of the Fussell's cream.  You don't have to whip the cream.  Just stir it in as you would the canned cream. 

Serve Yum Yum with salads and sliced cold meats (veggie roast in my case).  A salad plate with Yum Yum would be very special, indeed!

 

Yum Yum
1 box lemon or orange gelatin dessert (Jell-o), 85gram/3 ounce
1 can crushed pineapple with juice, 398 ml/14 ounce
1 tablespoon sugar
1 can Fussell's cream, 170 ml (if this product is not available use 6 fluid ounces of heavy cream)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, loosely packed

In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat bring Jell-o, pineapple, juice and sugar to a simmer.  Continue simmering 5 minutes until Jell-o is dissolved.  Cool the pineapple mixture and then place in the refrigerator and chill until it is starting to jell.  Add cream and cheese and mix well.  Place in a nice serving bowl and chill until completely set about 2 or 3 hours.


Makes about 6-8 servings.



Bring the gelatin dessert (Jell-o), pineapple with juice and sugar to a simmer over medium heat.

Continue simmering for about 5 minutes until the gelatin and sugar is completely dissolved. 


Remove from heat and let cool and then place in the refrigerator until starting to jell.

When the pineapple mixture is slightly jelled add the canned cream and grated cheese.

Fussell's canned cream tends to be a bit clumpy so I like to give it a good whisking before using.

Stir and fold the cheese and cream into the pineapple jell.

Once everything is well mixed, place the mixture in a serving bowl and chill in the refrigerator for several hours until firmly set.


Yum Yum is delicious served with a cold roast and salads.  We served ours with Mom's Quick Lentil Roast and Newfoundland Beet and Mustard Potato Salads


"How does it taste?"
"Yum, yum!" we all answer.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts